Warning: strtolower() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/eightyo2/public_html/blog/wp-includes/widgets.php on line 880

Warning: strtolower() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/eightyo2/public_html/blog/wp-includes/widgets.php on line 1010

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/eightyo2/public_html/blog/wp-includes/widgets.php:880) in /home/eightyo2/public_html/blog/wp-content/plugins/ylsy_permalink_redirect.php on line 403
Eightyone Design Logo

How would you improve your graphic design studio or office?

How would you improve your graphic design studio or office?

Just lately, we have been wondering how we could improve our graphic design studio to make it a more creative workspace. Whether it means adding a huge mural on the wall or simply designing some graphic art, we feel it could do with a bit of a change. After all, an extravagant and funky working space should give you an extra boost of inspiration! This led me to start looking at unusual and creative offices. Here are a few offices and creative spaces that take that concept to the extreme:

Google Offices

Design inspiration - Ogilvy Offices

Design inspiration - Ogilvy Offices

Selgas Cano

Design inspiration - Selgas Cano Office

Design inspiration - Selgas Cano Office

Design inspiration - Selgas Cano Offices

So if you could add anything to your graphic design studio or office, what would it be? Would it be something crazy like a slide or something a bit more subtle?

Posted by Lu

Share this: del.icio.us / Digg it / StumbleUpon / Tweet This / Share on Facebook

If you enjoyed this blog article you can subsribe to FREE updates from our graphic design blog by email or RSS

You may also be interested in:

Posted on Monday, June 1st, 2009 at 12:18 pm
Posted In Design Inspiration, Freelancing, Graphic Design | Tags: ,

110 Responses to “How would you improve your graphic design studio or office?”

Newer Comments »
  • Dan says:

The ILSE offices are my favorite I think. I love the 8-bit arcade game style used on everything, even the coat rack! The Ogilvy offices are pretty cool and interesting too, except that pink room is a little too much I think.

Personally, I think I work best in an uncluttered space. The Google offices look pretty cool, but I don’t think it would work for me. There’s too much going on. I need a nice open space. As far as creative inspiration with a modern feel, maybe just some interesting shapes and colors used for furniture or on the walls. Nothing too crazy like these examples. Just something pretty simple and clean.

• David Millar says:

I think the Google offices would be great for common spaces, but I like the first Cartoon Network office shot with the candy bins on the left and popcorn buckets on the right. Fun but simple and clean is my style.

• Lu says:

Hi Dan – Yeah, not too sure I could have a serious meeting in a pink room. I think the examples are a little too much to the extreme for us, I don’t think it’s practical for us to have a “themed” office as such. However we have noticed some funky furniture and colour schemes (not the pink) which we think are fees able. Like you we can’t work with too much clutter, saying that it may be nice to have on themed room though for show…..

Hi David – Yeah again clean and simple is a lot more practical. I do think Googles common spaces are excellently designed and would love to have the opportunity to create such a funky interior one day!

Thanks for you stopping by and leaving your thoughts!

• Teddy says:

Hope that everything is as good as they are over there now :) thank you so much for sharing the workspaces of large, famous corporations. I like it that they’ve taken a break out of the conventional ‘cubicle jungle’ layout, and made the interior spaces more lively, colourful, or cleaner and minimalistic. If you’d want me to pick a favourite, I’ll pick that Selgas Cano’s office. I’m not an interior designer myself, but is always fascinated by it, let alone by the clever, ingenious use of the colours of surrounding nature and brilliance of natural light. Not only does natural light filtering through half of the roof makes the place look wider and more cheerful, but also in an environmental point of view, saves lots of electricity that is allocated for powering up those light bulbs.

Nike offices are the most futuristic ones, but a little too cold to my liking. Some warm colours will be excellent! Google’s office space is drop dead gorgeous – I would spend the whole day lounging instead… not a good thing, heh :)

• xun says:

these office rooms are awesome!

• adnan says:

The design and color of Selgas Cano is the best I think. It’s really enjoyable to work there in the nature.

• UB says:

I really like this collection. It’s fantastic to see art in the workplace.

• Wow! Those are some cool offices. Not sure which is my favorite.

The thing I’d like to add to my office is color. Right now it’s pretty drab. That would at least get me one step closer to some of the awesomeness above.

• Lu says:

Hi Teddy – I have to agree I too think I wouldn’t get much work done in the Google offices! I can imagine myself just hanging out and drinking coffee!

Hi xun – We think so, glad you like them!

Hi adnan – The Seglas Cano offices do stand out as being practical as well as inspirational.

Hi UB – Pleased to hear you like the round up!

Hi James – I agree a splash of colour can make all the difference! Any idea what colour you are going for?

Thanks for your comments!

• […] How Would You Improve Your Graphic Design Studio Or Office? […]

• Tim Smith says:

Wow!! These offices rock!! I wish my office looked like some of these. What a great way to get the creative juices flowing! Thanks!

• Emmet says:

don’t care what my office will look like outside, but everything will be glass on the inside, with a spiral staircase (with lights on each step) leading up to a balcony where all my design books will be.. I picture it every time I have a bad day, and it really motivates me!

You should check out
    aswel, some really unique offices there!

• Danny Hinde says:

I can’t wait to personalize my own office (when I get one) :( some really good examples of creative workplaces. I’m sure there’s loads of great ways you could personalize your design studio, you’ve got a great logo and I’m sure you could come up with a design which reflects your identity.

Danny.

• Lu says:

Hi Tim – They certainly are inspirational! Imagine going down a slide to get to the bottom floor of your building??

Hi Emmet – Wow, you have a real vision of what you want your office to be and it sound lush! Thanks for the link to The Cool Hunter, they really do have some fantastic offices on show, I feel another post coming on…

Hi Danny – I’m sure you will be in your own office soon! We were thinking of using the logo in our office re-design somewhere not exactly sure how yet, but we think the logo is quite flexible and think we could do something with it. Well great minds do think alike!

Thank you all for taking time to comment!

• […] (newresolution.tumblr.com) Some lovely little messages, all of them quite thought provoking. How Would You Improve Your Graphic Design Studio Or Office? (eightyonedesign.co.uk) I would love to work in the Selgas Cano office. Photos: Nocturnal Gundam […]

• Dwight says:

These are so great! I’m not so sure if such environments do help people work, but nonetheless, these offices just make me want to hang-out and play all day.

How does your office look like? :P

• Bad Bullfrog says:

[…] heard of stories of ad agencies and other creative offices filled with toy guns, slides, billiard tables, trampolines and other unusual devices to keep these […]

• I’m facing the same question also – I have a date for my garden studio installation (in one month) and with my nice new space I am wanting to find ways to make it as inspiring a place to work as possible.

The problem is that I get bored so easily, so anything radical or particularly expressive is an issue because I will hate it two months down the line.

What I really want is something that can be changed frequently. So I’m going to look into display area ideas that can be changed easily and cheapily when I need something fresh to look at.

• ZelticFrost says:

Love selgascano office, do they need another designer?

• pearljamcrazy says:

That’s pretty awesome! Imagine coming into work everyday to that office!

• Jessie says:

I’d just be happy with a window, and being above ground for once.

• Leona says:

Really nice post Lu. Gets me excited about getting my own place in the future (I’ve not even left for University yet! :))

My personal favourite has to be the Selgas Cano offices, I’m going through a forest/nature phase at the moment, and that is just heaven for me. I agree with the other guys, I’d find it hard to think clearly with all this busy design surrounding me.

• bettemoe says:

I agree with Dan; these spaces would be way too distrating for me; and I would also get bored too quickly with the kitchy themes.
    My favorite would be the one surrounded by nature, but I don’t like the lime green and yellow tiles, or the white plastic chairs and surfaces at all. Give me the warmth of wood grain and earth tones anyday. With that decor I’d feel like I was working in a fast food resturant that doesn’t want me to stay very long.

• I think some of these places are better for the client than for the designer. I might find it too distracting. I like my clean, white walls and lots of space.

• Tom says:

I think having too much going on around you may be too distracting!

• Lu says:

Hi All!

Dwight – I know what you mean, you do have to question how much work you would get done. Our office is quite simple at the mo, white wooden flooring, white desks and mushroom walls, certainly getting inspired from these offices though!

Amanda – A garden studio sounds fab! I understand about not going to radical, something simple that you can change the “accessories” giving you a new look relatively cheaply will keep it looking fresh.

ZelticFrost – Only one way to find out!

pearljamcrazy – Any one in particular?

Jessie – No window? That’s harsh, but at least no screen glare if you are on a computer??

Leona – Thanks I am glad you liked the post! The Selgas Cano office is gorgeous and a good balance between practically workable as well as inspirational.

bettemoe – I know what you mean about the plastic interior of the Selgas Cano office, but you can’t beat those views!

Calgary Graphic Design – A lot of these are as much to impress clients and they are to kick start those creative juices. They do seem a little crammed, I have to say I also like a clean spacious office!

Tom – Yeah, it’s getting the right balance between inspirational and practical.

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment!

• Some of those offices are just breathtaking. I don’t know how the guy can work standing up in that bright red room though.

• Love your collection. Will surely implement one of them! :P

• Lu says:

Panda Designs – I know a must for me is a nice comfy chair!

Tushar – Glad you like them, have you got a favourite?

Thanks for your thoughts!

• Iveworkedattwo says:

I’ve worked for two of the companies above and have to say that in those cases (and I suspect all of them) these are the offices which they created *WELL AFTER* they were successful creatively. That is, these are the office which rich creative companies create because it’s fun – not ones where the actual inspiration or creation for the initial breakthroughs happen. At least in the case of the two I know about, those original offices were much like the typical cubicle offices that many people work out of. The work and the people were exceptional (and a lot of fun) – but not the environment.

• […] How would you improve your graphic design studio or office? […]

• […] How would you improve your graphic design studio or office? […]

• sam says:

Love the colors and rich textures. No chance my office would ever look like that. I am happy to have an office, however.

If I could have some furniture and decorations that change regularly that would be nice.

• […] to tweet automatically19 Awesome Photoshop Text Effect TutorialsImages for your blog from GoogleHow would you improve your graphic design studio or office?50+ New and Beautiful Free WordPress Themes20 Spray & Splat Brushes for PhotoshopMust-SeeYour […]

• Lu says:

Iveworkedattwo – Interesting. Do you think that offices like these don’t help the creative process at all and are merely bi-products of a successful company? (If this is correct I have to say I may agree with you there).

Sam – I think a simple “blank canvas” office with changeable furniture and accessories is the way to go. It will therefore always look fresh and new.

Thanks for stopping by!

• PPC Leeds says:

These are truly exceptional work places. Makes the company i work for look like a fossil towards these :D

Brilliant layouts and i would feel great working in any of them locations.

• Lu says:

PPC Leeds – Yeah they’re great, but I wonder how much work you’d actually get done?!

• robb says:

i’ve seen google office too many times.
    it’s always nice to see some others.
    btw the last one probably the best one.

• […] Jte fais la même chose sous photoshop, espèce de mytho. Source: http://www.eightyonedesign…. Just lately, we have been wondering how we could improve our graphic design studio to make it a more creative workspace. Whether it means adding a huge No Comments, Comment or Ping […]

• […] Comme quoi y’a vraiment du taf pour et chez certains employeurs… Source : http://www.eightyonedesign…. Just lately, we have been wondering how we could improve our graphic design studio to make it a more creative workspace. Whether it means adding a huge No Comments, Comment or Ping […]

• Lu says:

Hi Robb,

Yeah the Google offices have had a lot of attention, but I think for a very good reason. The Selgas Cano offices are beautiful and do stand out in this list.

Thanks for stopping by!

• Michelle says:

My perfect studio/office would have big windows to let it tons of natural light, but they also have to open to get some fresh air into the office. I feel much more motivated with outside air than with recycled air conditioned air.

And if I could sit on pillows on the floor and have my computer on a short table. Then I can spread my paperwork or materials out on the floor around me.

And no phone.

And soundproof walls so I can play my music without bothering anyone else.

And…

• Lu says:

Hi Michelle,

When you start thinking about it the list can go on and on! Like the idea of sitting on the floor, that’s a little different and definitely love the thought of no phone and soundproof walls!

Thanks for stopping by!

• […] How would you improve your graphic design studio or office? : Sigur ati lucra mai bine daca ati avea un birou amenajat ca […]

• DESARAE says:

Very cool offices. I would take any of them.

• vicious video says:

Throughout all the pics I’ve seen here I’d kill to work in an environment such as this. It adds to the aesthetic. Pink room and all. Creativity must flow from this place. I just wish I would see more of it.

• Lu says:

Hi Desarae – Pleased that you like them all!

Hi Vicious Video – It must be hard to not be creative in these environments, but I’m not sure how productive I could be in them? They are certainly fun to look at!

Thanks for stopping by!

• Hey everyone, have you seen my new outdoor space that I was whittering on about before?!

Ok not quite as fab as many of these samples, but I think it’s fab all the same :)

I’ve been in here a few weeks now and loving my peaceful woodlandy surroundings. I’ve got a few more decorative plans in the office yet, but it’s looking pretty good so far.

Amanda

• […] Stumbled and Pictures……… … .. . <> How would you improve your graphic design studio or office? / eightyone design / graphic design blog very cool offices […]

• Paul says:

Cool offices but some are really weird! I wouldn’t want to work in most of them. Some are minimalistic and that’s what I like.

Newer Comments »