Warning: strtolower() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/eightyo2/public_html/blog/wp-includes/widgets.php on line 880

Warning: strtolower() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/eightyo2/public_html/blog/wp-includes/widgets.php on line 1010

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/eightyo2/public_html/blog/wp-includes/widgets.php:880) in /home/eightyo2/public_html/blog/wp-content/plugins/ylsy_permalink_redirect.php on line 403
Why does everyone think they are a graphic designer? / eightyone design / graphic design blog
Eightyone Design Logo

Why does everyone think they are a graphic designer?

I am probably right in saying that not many people would tell a mechanic how to fix your car, or lecture an electrician how to re-wire your house, so why does everyone think they can tell a graphic designer how to design? Friends and family all constantly give me creative advice and critique my work, which I don’t mind at all, but sometimes I do have to grind my teeth and say the classic “That’s a great idea, but perhaps not quite right for this project” line.

Don’t get me wrong I have no problem taking criticism, especially from my clients as I will never understand their markets as well as they do, so creative collaboration and co-operation is fine in that respect. I also fully appreciate that as humans we are all creative beings in our own right and each have an individual sense of style. However I can’t help but think that graphic design as an industry is one that everyone thinks they could dip their toe into if they wished, therefore devaluing the whole industry. So, why do a lot of people think they could be a graphic designer and have the right to hand over golden nuggets of creative advice? Possibly for the following reasons…

Mummy’s little designer…

Everyone is told by their parents as a child (and sometimes as an adult) that their glitter / poster paint /chalk drawings / models / creations are fantastic and that they are ‘ever so clever’. So if you are constantly told this by the people who mean the most to you, you are going to think you have a heightened sense of design which may be hard to shrug off.

24/7 Advertising

Everyone is constantly bombarded by a range of advertising, promotion and branding which unless you head to the hills you cannot escape. We are all media trained from an early age and are subconsciously absorbing design left, right and centre.

“Design” Software

It is very easy for everyone now a days to open up Microsoft office and play around with clip art, word art and various templates to create some sort of design. This in my eyes doesn’t necessarily make that person a ‘designer’, but giving people instant access to this kind of software makes people believe that could hold a graphic design title if they want. Mark Busse from Industrial Brand gives us a great insight in to his experience with this in his article ‘No, I’m Not A Graphic Designer’ in which he states he deserves a better title than ‘Graphic Designer’ to separate him from the wannabe’s.

eightyone design - wordart

So if it is true that everyone in the human race is creative what actually defines a graphic designer?

Training

Whether it’s self taught or through University or college, a true graphic designer should be able to navigate through their tools (whatever they maybe) with ease and grace and not rely on cheap and overused filters and effects to create their work.

Constant Creativity

A graphic designer has trouble turning their creativity off! Marnie B has a great list of comical anecdotes about hard core designers, a lot of which ring true. As truly creative beings graphic designers eat sleep and drink design and relish wallowing in this creative lifestyle.

Marketing

Anyone can create a logo or design but will that concept be right for the intended market? Graphic designers are able to choose the right concept and convey those messages in a clear and concise way.

There are probably 100 more points to define graphic designers that I’ve missed! But what are your thoughts on this, what makes a real graphic designer? Do you feel that the creative industry is devalued by the volume of wannabe’s? What do you say to people when they give you creative solutions or suggestions?

Posted by Steve

Share this: del.icio.us / Digg it / StumbleUpon / Tweet This / Share on Facebook

If you enjoyed this blog article you can subsribe to FREE updates from our graphic design blog by email or RSS

You may also be interested in:

Posted on Monday, September 22nd, 2008 at 11:00 am
Posted In Featured Articles, Freelancing, Graphic Design | Tags: ,

59 Responses to “Why does everyone think they are a graphic designer?”

Newer Comments »
  • No truer word said, everyone thinks they are a designer to some degree or another, but they think as long as they say “I’m no designer but…can you try this” then its fine!

The graphic designer trade has been massively devalued in the last 5 or so years, now that software is easily available and many people have a computer. But I think its also all these “how to” websites that have also devalued it. There are now so many “how to design a business card” “how to use photoshop brushes to create a button” etc etc that many people think as long as they can do these things they have a skill for design.

There are also alot of self taught designers throwing Photoshop effects around and calling it design.

Its funny I’ve had a draft in my WordPress site for a couple of months now called “Everyone’s a designer” but didn’t know how to approach writing it without it sounding like a rant! So I have had my little rant here instead! Still might finish that post though :-)

• John says:

What a SUPERB POST! I’m so glad someone finally said it! I won’t even begin to start telling you how much I agree with everything which you wrote, because I literally would go on for hours.

Let’s just say you hit every nail on the head!

• Moey says:

Thanks for the link back, I think people abused the title. just like you said, whats even worse, here in the arab world, some people call themselves designers while they can’t even spell the word design properly.

• Well put. It is true that most people think they are or can be designers. My favorite line goes, “I’m not a designer, BUT…”

I think the only other profession that has this problem is acting (and maybe pro sports).

• I enjoyed this article and sadly what has been stated is very true.
    I can not remember where I saw this phrase from, but it sums this article up pretty well.
    “Just because you have a lasso that doesn’t mean you are a cowboy.”
    Same holds true for Graphic Designers.
    “Just because you have a design program that doesn’t mean you are a Graphic Designer.”
    Just my 2 cents.

• dave says:

I agree entirely with this article. However I disagree with the comment about “how to” websites. I think people who freely share tutorials and tips rise above the all too common arrogant, self-centered designer. You’ll notice that’s one of the main differences in the design community vs the development (coding) community. They share solutions and knowledge openly, no strings attached (for the most part). Just because a high school kid can follow a tutorial and start learning the tools of the trade, doesn’t make you any less of a graphic designer, or him more of one. If the availability and knowledge of our tools is all that sets us apart from the masses, then perhaps we’re one of the very ‘wanabes’ that we’re complaining about.

• Marko Novak says:

I totally agree with your article, but I want to add something too.

I’m a web designer with Computer Programming and Informatics college. We have a schooled (I don’t know what design school) designer here in our company. I don’t want to end up cocky but I do believe I have a lot more design knowledge than he have.

I guess it depends on person, but the point I was trying to make is that design schools don’t make you a designer if you already don’t have this in you.

He already ruined one project (which I had to redesign) and I’m getting a lot of crappy designs from him (to repair).

My only problem is that my boss thinks he’s one of the best designers around. He tells me every time how he has the best knowledge for details. But when I get his designs they are all half finished.

The main problem I think is in my boss who thinks he knows design and promotes crapy designers.

• Adam says:

Great article! I really enjoyed it and I agree in 101%

• Andris says:

I’m not telling I’m a great graphic designer, but I’m sure I know way more about graphic design, than most of my friends and family.

I’m still learning. I guess I will never stop to learn.

And I agree with you that it really sucks sometimes to get design advice from people being not related in any way to graphic design.

• Keeto says:

I wanted to write a comment here, but it grew too long for comfort. So I wrote a response to this post on my blog: You Make Everyone Think They’re Designers

• Jonathan says:

Aesthetic design is subject to interpretation. Something like fixing a car is finite, either it works or it doesn’t.

I think if you’re gainfully employed in the design field then you have some right to call yourself a designer. If you design on-the-side or for free, then you’re probably not a designer.

• Steve says:

Thanks for all your responses.

Gareth,

I would love to read your post and see your take on it. Let me know when you post it.

John,

Thanks for your kind words – glad you enjoyed the post.

Moey,

Thanks for the comment – I really enjoyed your article.

James,

Definitely agree with the acting comparison – very true!

Scott,

Great analogy. Now that design software is readily available (with take down versions of pro software like Photoshop Elements) it seems that anyone that can choose a filter thinks they are a designer!

Dave,

I think there is a great online community of developers and coders who are extremely helpful and willing to solve a problem. You are right in saying that anyone can follow a tutorial and that does not make you a web designer or graphic designer. However, I think the problem is that some people follow one or two tutorials and then set up their own design / web company. Have a look at my other post ‘How many Web Design Companies? ( http://www.eightyonedesign.co.uk/blog/2008/08/how-many-website-design-companies ) for a few examples of this.

Marko,

I totally agree that just because someone has attended a design school or college does not mean they are cut out for a career in design. However, as I said in the article, whether you are self taught or educated by a design college, there needs to be a certain amount of technical knowledge to back up the creative ability. Without this there would just be lots a good ideas executed badly through a lack of software knowledge.

Adam,

Thanks for your kind words.

Andris.

You are right, you will never stop learning. Whether its a different technique or change of style, every designer will continue to learn new skills (and you will always look back at previous work and say ‘what was i thinking?!)

Keeto,

Thanks for the mention on your blog.

Jonathan,

Good point, if you earn a living in the design industry then you do have some right to call yourself a graphic designer. However, what about all these new startups you see who seem to have very little knowledge and experience in the design field, but obviously make a living out of doing what they do? (some example of which can be found here – http://www.eightyonedesign.co.uk/blog/2008/08/how-many-website-design-companies)

• Anna says:

I disagree with your call to purity in the world of design. I feel like you are setting up a binary between 1) the passive consumers of design, 2) designers. I believe it is frequently the other way around – you in fact borrow ideas from the masses. Graffiti and street culture is a great example of this. I could be mistaken but I believe one of the goals of design is (or should be) effective communication. Perhaps the masses of untrained “designers” mean that you can use Microsoft word art effectively, in which case maybe we can learn something from “bad” design.

• Jonathan says:

Steve, the key phrase to note is “some right”… it’s not all-inclusive. :)

• […] 9 Puan Why does everyone think they are a graphic designer? – eightyone design […]

• Erik says:

I could not agree with this more. Even though everyone had an opinion on what they think looks good and what doesn’t, I think the biggest problem is that untrained designers don’t think about things will work together and relay to much on filters make things look good. I use the standard that if I can tell what filter or style was used in the design it needs to be reworked.

Plus most non-designers think that photoshop is the end all program when it comes to design without giving any thought to the value of having a logo or something needed in a vector format.

• […] Why does everyone think they are a graphic designer? […]

• Marnie B says:

Hey, thanks for the link. You did spell my name wrong though. :p

Good post though. There needs to be more discussion on this topic.

• Steve says:

Anna,

Thanks for putting across a different point of view on this subject. I agree that one of the overall goals of design is to communicate effectively and maybe you are right, perhaps we can learn from ‘bad’ design in order to communicate the message to the masses.

Jonathan,

A very good point – it is not all inclusive.

Erik,

I use the same, if you can tell what filter has been used then the design definitely needs to be looked at again.

Marnie B,

Thanks for your comment – I have amended your name so that it is spelt correctly – sorry about that.

Steve

• Graphic Designers aren’t taken seriously enough, especially with the software available these days. But theres a big difference between good and bad design, subjective yes but I’m sure most will agree there is a difference. The level of design is also reflected in the which market you’re working in. If its a birthday card for grandma then thats one thing but if you’re working with BMW thats another.

• Steve says:

Hi Rajesh,

I definitely agree there is a difference between good and bad design. I suppose your comments about what market come down to budget, BMW would not go to someone who offers a logo design for £50 etc. This means that if there is always a client looking for the cheapest deal (and who isn’t really concerned how good the work is) then there will always be a market for this sort of cheap design.

Thanks for your comment.

Steve

• Fair point I guess its all about what we hope to achieve with the design.

• […] Why does everyone think they are a graphic designer? | eightyone design – graphic design blog […]

• Raphael says:

Very interesting article; I believe besides design, acting (and maybe pro sports; dunno about that one), photography is the one other field where everyone thinks they’re an expert.

I’ve a question to all graphic designers though: how should somebody who is _not_ a graphic designer approach graphic design in a way that doesn’t make real graphic designers want to throw up?

As a web application developer by trade, I’m frequently asked to _design_ things (as opposed to just program them). My usual response is “I’m not a designer, go find somebody else”, but sometimes that’s just not an option (mostly for financial reasons). So how should somebody like me –and I’m sure there are others in similar positions– approach graphic design to make their work not outright suck?

• […] Why does everyone think they’re a graphic designer? It only started out as a bit of a rant but it seems everyone has an opinion on this subject — it is by far the most viewed post on our blog and has put us in touch with many new friends. […]

• @Rajesh Pancholi-

“the level of design is also reflected in the which market you’re working in. If its a birthday card for grandma then thats one thing but if you’re working with BMW thats another.”

Funny… I regularly do work for BMW and I just made a card for my grandma’s birthday! :)

• @Raphael-

On behalf of all the designers out there “thank you” for your inquiry on how to approach the issue! :)

When we (designers) see something that is poorly designed AND lacks reason for the design that’s simply insult to injury. I think if you’re a programmer and you have some inclination and ability to thoughtfully design something then you’re entitled to do so.

People use the title Graphic Designer loosely. You may have designed something (whether good or bad) but you’re not necessarily a graphic designer.

• sharonimous says:

I truly enjoyed reading this article. Glad to know there is so much agreement and discussion on this topic.

• jacob says:

I completely agree. I design for a little agency but before that I was doing freelance – mostly flyers for local events. My friend (who I had a falling out with) decided to spite me started throwing together flyers that I could have made in paint. But because he would either do them for free or very little pay I completely lost my market; regardless of the fact that they were rubbish! I will never work with up and coming musicians..ever again.

• Steve says:

Raphael,

I am sure that as a programmer / developer you have a much better idea than most of what constitutes a good design and I would think that members of the Graphic Design community would welcome your input more than someone who has never been involved in design. I think the key between our two trades is understanding and appreciating the other. I would never attempt to claim I could develop a good web app. However, as I am involved in design on a daily basis and my job therefore involves heavy use of computers and web applications, I would think that I perhaps have a better understanding and knowledge of what is considered usable and beneficial in a web app.

Jonathan,

Couldn’t agree more!

Sharonimous,

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

Jacob,

I think that most designers would agree with me in saying that any ‘up and coming’ business or artist can be hard to produce quality design work for. the main reason is a lack of budget which forces them to go to the cheaper alternative. Unfortunately, there will always be a market for this kind of ‘bargain basement’ design work. However, as someone said to me, if these people are looking for price over quality then do you really want them as clients?

• I’ve noticed this phenomenon with various segments of the Internet for many years. It’s nice to hear it from other people so you can check your sanity.

Everyone also thinks they are a web designer, programmer and on and on.

I have tried to fix my car in the past, but the only reason was to save money. Sometimes people try to do their own design for the same reason.

But… I think the main difference here has to do with the ego of these people. It is COOL if they can say to their friends/family/acquaintances that they can design logos, program and make a web site.

They worry they will look like idiots if they need to get someone else (even if they are way more qualified) to do web/graphic stuff.

It’s really depressing, but also a bit fascinating at the same time. There may be enough material to fill a book on this topic. Hmm….

• Smacka says:

So true, many people think they’re a Graphic Designer, although I’d like to add Interior Designer to that list. I have spent hard earned years studying Interior Design, Spatial Information (and now Multi-media), my bookshelves are loaded with design books and I absorb as much visual information as I can where ever I go (as most designers surely do) … but now I realise that there will always be a wannabe, a try hard or a know it all lurking. In relation to Interior Design, I guess it’s because most people who own a home, have renovated or have watched one of the many design shows think they can do it. It’s frustrating when you have spent years learning, reading, seeing, doing, etc … so I try to remind myself that the results will speak for themselves. Often it’s a struggle to hold in that snappy comment in response to those who wouldn’t understand how insulting this is. They can talk about how they can do it, but can they do it?

I wonder; Does everyone think they are a chef because they can cook? Does everyone think they’re a doctor because they have a body? Maybe at times they do, but again … the results will speak for themselves.

• Smacka says:

Oh, and I’m so comforted to know that it’s not just me this happens to. Sometimes it has made me question my abilities and competence, but this helps me realise it’s something else :)

• Lu says:

Uniquely Cool – That’s what I love about blogging and sharing experiences it does double check your sanity! I agree about ego’s, I don’t know why people think they will look foolish if they can’t do something themselves. I would never worry that I couldn’t re-wire my house or install a bathroom. It’s all about choosing the right person for the job.

Smacka – I am glad that we have comforted you, again this is what I love about blogging! I think you summed it up when you said “Does everyone think they are a chef because they can cook? Does everyone think they’re a doctor because they have a body? Maybe at times they do, but again … the results will speak for themselves.” Too true, the results will always speak for themselves.

• Sonja says:

An interesting read, however I’d like to point out that the article by Moey that you referenced here is actually an almost word for word rip off of an article by Mark Busse from Industrial Brand.

Although the Moey article is no longer available for public viewing, there is a screen grab of it on the Industrial Brand site.

See for yourself: http://industrialbrand.com/blog/moeys-not-a-graphic-designer-hes-a-plagiarist

btw – I am not affiliated with Industrial Brand in any way.

• Steve says:

Hi Sonja,

Thanks for the comment. I was not aware of this but have now updated the links in the blog to direct to Mark’s article rather than the Moey article.

Thanks for the heads up!

Steve

• Shauni says:

Hahaha! I love this article! It’s as amusing as it is correct, and I will never forget that brilliant first sentance.

I’m a little A Level student hoping to get into a graphic design course next year, and even though I’m no photoshop wizz, I seethe with hatred at designs that are so obviously done in terrible graphics software- and with confidence. There is no love in designs spewed from, as you said, filters and 2-second tools. I’ve had a few clients before that have given up on me because they found ”Vista Print” and its ”so easy”- eurgh!

I asked my client, ‘If Vista Print is so wonderful, why did it let you use a matt, bright red, and unreadable Comic Sans header over a stolen JPEG image?’ Some people trust themselves too much.

Graphic Designers, in my view, are born with and grow up with a better sense of space and colour. They are sensitive to surroundings and are quirky in the things they like. Concepts of alignment, padding and font all are a sixth sense from the start, and they go about thier way to redesign everything around them, leaving a trail of functional beauty wherever they go.

You are as much a ‘graphic designer’ for the things you have listed in this blog, as you would be an ‘artist’ for smearing some mud on a window. Ha! Great article :) x

• Matt says:

I agree with the article completely and yes if you have the program doe sent mean you are a graphics designer, but lets just say “i” don’t have the Graphics Designing Programs but yet i can still do some pretty amazing things in Paint lets just say, and be able to make a small market with what i do in paint does that mean i´m a graphics designer ore i´m not a Designer… but? practically everyone has Creativity just different, and yes to have the Title Graphics Designer Experience is required, creativity everyone has it even a 3 year old just that everyone sees, thinks, talks, walks practically do everything different from everyone else, so what does make a Graphics Designer deserve that Title? i think even the best designer struggle with some designing projects, so does everyone else and of coarse taking an image already made and editing it might not be the best way to become a Graphics Designer, but is a good way of showing how you would have done the image if you were that artist, thus showing you have creativity, and well i kind of believe that people can always be imagining and redrawing images in they’re heads after seeing… i don´t know maybe a portrait. And well being told that your drawings are good by people that are very important to you can be a bit traumatic but if you are told the same thing from every person that comes across your works must mean you are definitely good so everyone has the chance to become a Graphics Designer all is needed is Passion over Designs and Love for what you make then you can get somewhere in Graphics Design

• Paula says:

I have been a designer for 30 years. I started in the business before there were computers. This was a time when designers were respected. Only the best could survive in the field. Because not everyone could do what we did we were paid as well as we were respected.

Today I have moved to the now lowly position of computer designer. My title is Art Director but I do little art direction. That function is done by art know-it-alls that have backgrounds in marketing, writing and editing. The personal taste that they use to decide what color to paint their livingroom is the same taste they use to tell me that my title font is too big. I actually had one of them tell me that I should change the color of something because it was too “squishy” reminding them of a house dress that their grandmother wore when they were 4 years old. Hu? What does that have to do with design?

Another big, big problem is that the graphic design industry has joined the big money romance category which includes such fields as massage therapy, medical assistant, nail technition and beautician. No longer is a perspective graphic design student only allowed to enter a program as a result of a successful portfolio revue that exhibits true talent. If they can pay the tuition they are in…greed driven as the previously mentioned fields.

• Steve says:

Thanks for the continued discussion!

Shauni,

Glad you like the article (I liked the first sentence too!!). I think there will always be clients who are not too concerned with the ‘look’ of a design and as such will opt for cost of quality. Packages like Vista Print are aimed at these people and as long as the client is happy then I do not see a problem. My frustration occurs when a so called ‘designer’ uses this sort of software to create designs for a client. There is almost something quite dishonest about this as you rightly said, the software is so easy to use the client to do it themselves!

Matt,

You are quite correct in saying good software does not make a good designer. Creativity is in the mind, not in a series of pre-defined ‘effects’. However, I would argue against anyone being able to use programs such as Paint to create good, solid and commercial designs. Yes, they are good as a starting point when learning, but they should not be used for ‘paid’ commissions. Having creativity is one thing, but being able to bring those ideas in to a workable format is another. A true graphic designer or graphic artist needs to have both skills.

Paula,

It must be very frustrating working under art directors with such a loose grasp of the basics of design. Personal taste certainly enters all graphic designers work, but a decision as to which route is best for a project should be made with the end user in mind. Also, I understand what you are saying about ‘money romance’ category. However, time will prove whether these people have a rightful place in the design industry as without a good portfolio and experience I am sure they will not survive.

Again, thanks for your comments!

Steve

• Deadman says:

I just googled this as I need a place to vent. I am a GD with over 15 years experience. I take great pride in my skills, creativity, problem solving and speed at which I do my job. I make it look so easy, natural and fun that my Marketing Assistant thinks that she should just take a night course and learn the design programs so she can help out with my huge work load. I can appreciate her eagerness, but she has no clue how long it takes to get efficent in the programs used and I would spend more time teaching her than getting work done. I have worked in agnecies that you had to know key commands or you were fired and for good reason, it makes you faster. I would love to have a GD vs Joes TV show, it would be amazing. I don’t think the General Population realizes how much thought, creativity and acuracy goes into creating/building files and producing high quality, effective advertising and design – they just take it for granted.

• Steve says:

HI Deadman,

Thanks for your comment.

I agree it would take a long time to train someone with no experience to use design software to a competent level. However, at least this is something that can be taught. What I would think you would find much, much harder is trying to teach your colleague creativity which is something that I believe you either have, or you do not. Also, graphic designers build up a vast amount of knowledge whilst working in the industry that can not be suddenly taught to someone. Whether this is what logo design rules to adhere to or how to design a magazine using a grid system, this is something that is drilled in to every designer due to the amount of time they have spent designing.

Also, love you idea for the TV show!

Steve

• Jill says:

What irks me about those who call themselves Graphic Designers, is being an Artworker, when most GD’s created in Illustrator or Photoshop for print; I would open the file and find the work in 40 layers, text as text, and images lost, not embedded.

So I would be on the phone to said GD (who incidentally is getting paid on average £4k+ a year more than me), ‘yep…now set the text to outline, huh? oh, you need to control shift alt O…yep, now you see the text is now a piece of art and not text…right, now go to the palette…layers…yeh? now flatten your layers…’ you get my drift.

Now I am not a graphic designer (I can copy anything, but rarely create my own stuff), yet I have done many visuals, posters, marketing promotional stuff, adequately, but without ‘original flair’ but say to people I’m an Artworker – they look at you blankly – so I’m kind of forced to say Graphic Designer, but I know I’m not.

Now, unfortunately due to the progress of pdf’s and computer technology which can skip over everything I used to do, I’m no longer an Artworker :-( which is major boo, cos I really liked my job.

• ck says:

I’m venting…

I just got back from an interview/skills test (which I loathe) for a “graphic designer” position. I sat down and they gave me a packet of instructions for several test projects. Told me to be “as creative as possible” and then put me in a room with a PC laptop and Microsoft Office to complete these tasks. Needless to say I couldn’t really put my best foot forward. Over 15 years of great experience and I’m hobbled by a complete misunderstanding/devaluing of the Industry.

• Jason says:

Seriously, isn’t it basicly just a form of art? (If yes then there is no real wrong answer)
    I think many people without the proper training can call themselves graphic designers or even programmers for that matter. You can master all the variations of html, css and programs like photoshop and dreamweaver in one month maximum. As for programming, I would probably say you could master a language in under 3 months if you don’t know the basics yet.

• Baseem says:

I a gree with the said above…. when some siad im graphics design should first have knowledge…. And sleep talk breath thinking about new design/ concept….. Softwares easy to learn….. Maybe some people they have creative ideas and good imaginations but they dont have the tools to implements what they image in their mind….. Its all about knowledge and imaginations….. And also meditation important….. Ans social life play something important for graphics designers….. And he should have an eye to look look look and read read read…..
    Everybody can design but the design itself should have a meaning……… and nowadays i notice everybody like simplicity in thier designs coz its comfortable for eyes and minds

• AJ says:

If you can dance, show me you can dance aka..(portfolio). If you dance like Micheal Jackson.. then you’re a graphic designer aka..(dancer). If you dance like William Hung from American Idol, then you can’t dance jack. Good example is again of American Idol when millions auditioned to sing and the ones that qualified were actually the ones that could sing and had talent. You have it or you don’t.

• […] There are skills I recognize I don’t have so I try to show appreciation for those talents displayed in others and all I ask is for the same in return. Nothing ticks me off more then when people think they understand my job and then attempt to tell me how to do something they know nothing about. I do not presume to know how to be a good copywriter, accountant or networking professional (these are just random examples) so I find it pretty arrogant of you to presume to know what it takes to be a good designer. I had a professor in college that always used to say “You’ll learn very quickly in the real world that EVERYONE thinks they’re a f’ckn designer.“ […]

• I think a real designer could do it with magic markers, paper and glue. The programs are just tools to make it easier to do your design. I have a problem with second in commands to the persons who hired me not liking my work (I want this and this and this to be bold too!) because i put some hierarchy in it. And then they want to center justify everything.

• Kuki says:

I would say it depends on person to person what they want to call themselves.Because i’m not going to be the one looking stupid or wowing their clients.I feel anyone into designing will know what suits them best though some as mention as mentioned in the comments become Graphic Designer by simply designing using cliparts and cheap filter and effects .Am i comfortable using the title graphic Designer ? No…The Design guys works for me :) Cheers

Newer Comments »